Tips for a correct body position when using a wheelchair
It is essential for our health to sit correctly on a wheelchair as well as to feel more active during the day. In this post we have prepared eight tips to help you achieve this.
Sitting for a long time may cause fatigue, tiredness and pain in the musculoskeletal system. It should be taken into account that the perfect position to sit on a wheelchair is not any kind of position. Each person has different needs according to his/her personal characteristics. However, achieving the most appropriate position is vital to reduce pressure in the lumbar and cervical area and the buttock but also to avoid injuries and ease tension which may cause pain and tiredness.
8 tips for the right position on a wheelchair
There are some tricks to achieve the best body position on a wheelchair and therefore increase the position control, comfort and to boost healthy habits. The following tricks are useful and we recommend its performance:
- Keep a stable pelvis by choosing the most appropriate seat for you.
- Sit straight for a steady backbone.
- Keep your head straight and slightly tilted downwards.
- Relax your shoulders.
- Position your buttocks correctly so that your back is on the backrest.
- Your feet should be parallel to the floor.
- Your knees should be positioned next to each other, creating a right angle and slightly separated from each other.
- Rest your legs on the footplate.
You can improve your quality of life by knowing these tips. Many people feel better in their jobs, leisure moments, daily life and even when travelling on a wheelchair.